The student in your family is graduating from high school or college, and you need the ideal gift.
Whether you’re seeking a high-tech gadget or a practical necessity, the following ideas are sure to please:
* A subscription to an online movie rental service. After all that hard work, your student will want to wind down, and movies offer the perfect opportunity. Plans start at around $10 a month, and there are no late fees.
* Broadband telephone service. For a low monthly fee, your student can make calls over the Internet. All that is needed is a high-speed Internet connection and a standard telephone. An adapter converts the phone calls into data that zips through a high-speed Internet connection. Vonage, a leading broadband telephone service provider, offers a variety of low-cost monthly plans, including unlimited calling in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico for $24.99.
Vonage offers a portable Wi-Fi handset, which enables subscribers to make unlimited calls from any open access Wi-Fi hot spot.
* An alarm clock. It may be time for your student to start a new routine, and what a better way than with a new alarm clock? Today’s alarm clocks offer more than the simple clock radios of the past and may include such features as a weather forecast, nature sounds or different ring tones for each day of the week. It’s a perfect gift for heavy sleepers who no longer will have Mom’s morning wake-up call.
* An MP3 player. Walkmans and portable CD players are so last century. Now, all of your student’s favorite songs can be stored on one tiny device. Some models allow you to watch videos or TV shows purchased online. It’s a great way to avoid moving a stereo and its accessories into a small dorm room. Your student will be able to enjoy viewing photos, too.
* Luggage. Your student is sure to be in need of a duffel bag, backpack, briefcase, garment bag or a wheeled upright suitcase. Browse the Web to find the perfect luggage set or other travel gear, offered in a variety of styles and prices.